Mosey On’s crew had another of those ‘learning experiences’ yesterday. You know the kind “…that make you stronger.” We left the Little Wicomico Rver and headed north under clear skies and the following marine forecast for our area of the Chesapeake:
SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS.
In the interest of full disclosure, the above came with the following disclaimer:
FORECASTS OF WAVE HEIGHTS DO NOT INCLUDE EFFECTS OF WIND DIRECTION
RELATIVE TO TIDAL CURRENTS. EXPECT HIGHER WAVES WHEN WINDS ARE
BLOWING AGAINST THE TIDAL FLOW.
About 2PM, the National Weather Service put out the following:
SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM EDT THIS EVENING.
[A Small Craft Advisory means that wind speeds of 25 to 33 knots and/or seas of 5 feet or greater are anticipated.]
So what should this mean to our stout little ship and hardy crew? Two things, really. First, we should have taken more note of the wave heights disclaimer. As the wind piped-up in the afternoon and the tide turned, the adjustment to wave heights came clearly into focus! They now pushed us along reaching more than 5 feet with a very short period between. And second, though our pride in Mosey On would deny her “Small Craft” status, she is. Our limited experience in such seas made her all the more so. The crew was not scared, but not happy. The skipper had his hands full. Forty-six feet, sixty thousand pounds….and we were surfin’ (dude!).
After a couple hours of this ‘character building’, we took the first available exit and nestled into a secure cove near St. Michaels, MD.